As my parents get older, they are getting more sentimental. I don't ever remember going to Moab as a family when I was a kid, but since Anna was born, my dad has been excited about taking us down there. He remembers it as a favorite family trip with his dad when he was younger, and I am delighted that he wants to share it with our children.
So we had been planning a little getaway to Moab with my parents over Memorial Day, but the weather was not cooperative. We were able to find a little secluded canyon out of the wind the first night we were there, and of course, the kids loved wading in the river and skipping rocks.
Saturday morning we drove to Delicate Arch first thing. The wind was whipping us like mad! There were several times when we literally had to stop and hold on to Anna and Kate so they wouldn't blow away!
But we made it! Glanced at the Arch, took a photo, and then got out of there! With as strong as the wind was, I was truly worried someone would fall off the cliffside you have to walk on to get out to the Arch.
See how we can't even keep our eyes open?
Trav couldn't even use the hiking backpack to carry Eve back because the wind kept blowing sand in her eyes. He carried her in his arms the whole way and eventually she fell asleep. Little kids have an amazing ability to sleep through anything.
Picnic in the minivan! We literally could not be outside of the car at all!
But, no worries. It just left us with extra time to chill at the ice cream parlor on Main Street.
I was so impressed with my kids on this trip. Trav and I were both a little grumpy about the weather, but the girls had such good attitudes and enjoyed every minute of it. Anna even found great joy in sweeping all the sand the wind blew in out of the tent trailer. Both Anna and Kate hiked the entire way to Delicate Arch without complaint, and that's a long and steep hike for a little girl!
No comments:
Post a Comment