Sunday, September 30, 2007

Tagging

Warning: It takes a long time to do this. But it's pretty fun to reminisce.

What were you doing 10 years ago?
I had just started my sophomore year. I remember the early days of sophomore year being full of drama-- who likes who, what are they going to do about it, etc. Unfortunately for me, I liked the guy my best friend had liked all through junior high, and he liked me back. Luckily she forgave me for being a traitor and hooking up with him.... And ten years later she's still my best friend and I haven't spoken to him in years.
I did regular high school stuff-- dance, yearbook staff, football games, etc. The greatest trial of my life was that I was a full year younger than all my friends--- which meant that I couldn't "date" for another year. (notice my earlier comments to see that I pretty much disregarded this notion. Bad Laur!) Anyway, can't remember too much about the sophomore year. It's my junior year that I treasure.

.What were you doing 5 years ago?
Travis and I had been married for about 3 months and were living in a cute little basement apartment on Bryan Ave in Sugarhouse. We were both finishing up at Westminster and working full time. I was working at a wedding video company, a job I really loved, but anyone that I ever referred to them was treated horribly. Go figure.
The last year of college was pretty unimpressive, I guess because I was just trying to get done quickly. I did a great internship at the Children's Center (for abused and neglected kids) that really influenced my life. It helped me to see what I wanted to do with life, and also the importance of good parents. So many sweet kids are hurt by mean parents and they can't do anything about it! They need good people to come in and show them a better way. ... but I digress.
One thing I really remember about that time in life was that Travis and I loved our ward. It was full of all these old people who had lived on our street since 1950, and then young couples like us who lived in their basements. I met so many inspiring people whose examples have changed my life for the better. I hope to one day be as sweet as Ruby Plouzek.

One Year Ago. . .
I was adjusting to life with two kids. Kate was about 2 months old and was the sweetest baby anyone could imagine. Anna was sweet most of the time, but seemed insulted that I'd had this baby and would rarely let me do anything for her. We spent lots of time hanging out with Kris and Gwen-- going on morning walks, to the duck pond, or just chilling in our pajamas all morning. Can I just say that Kristi is the best friend/neighbor anyone could ask for? How many times did she watch my kids so I could catch up on sleep? How many times would I see her car leaving the parking lot and shout something crazy out my door like "Can you bring me a gallon of milk when you get back?" No way did I repay her for all that she did for me that year--- and now you live in Texas and all I can do to help with your new baby is pray for you! Sorry dude.
Trav was finishing up his last year of law school and we were anxious to hear where he would be working after graduation. That news did not come for a long time.... like June of this year. Whatever, we're happy now.



Yesterday. . .
Morning: woke up to sweet little Kate lying next to me in our tent (we went camping, more about that another time). We got up, ate breakfast, went for a nature hike, and came home just as the rain started to fall.
Late Morning: Still in my pj's, trying to give my girls a bath. My dad shows up to see if he can help fix our car (for some reason the trunk won't open... I'm sad about it). Anna invites him to lunch, he says "What are you having for lunch?" She says "Probably a meat sandwich" So that's what we do.
Afternoon: Trav goes to the temple (I went last week, so it's his turn). I get the girls down for a much needed nap (not a lot of sleep in the tent last night) and I take a nap myself. THEN I shower, at about 2:30 pm, and get ready to go to the Relief Society Broadcast.
Evening: Drove my buddies Jen and Kara to the broadcast in Salt Lake. We had sweet tickets that were on the plaza (bottom level). Jen and Kara had to get out of the car on State St. and walk because traffic was a nightmare. I barely made it, but serendipity placed Kara right in my line of sight at the right moment so she could lead me to our seats. Perfect! The broadcast was wonderful, and I felt again inspired to be a better mother and wife. I love my family.
Later Evening: The traffic had drained my car of gas, so we knew we couldn't join the mass of women leaving the parking garage at the same time or else we'd end up out of fuel with only women in high heels to help us. So, we did what any 3 hot chicks would do in Salt Lake on a Saturday night--- went to the Lion House for treats! (my eclair was like heaven today, Kara. Thanks!) I don't know if it's because I'm starved for time away from my kids or what, but this was one of the funnest nights I've had in a long time. Yea for friends in the ward!
Night: I was too tired after our galavanting to clean up the house, so I just went to bed. Poor Travis stayed up late working on his lesson for Sunday school today. Probably if I was a better wife I would have made more time for him to work on it during the week..... guilt, guilt, guilt.

(I'm noticing my post about yesterday was much longer than my other posts.... I guess it's just a memory thing.)


5 snacks that I enjoy. . .
1. I eat tons of cereal. Yes, Jen, the sugar kind. My favorite right now is Cocoa Pebbles.
2. Ice cream
3. Apples with caramel dip
4. Nachos
5. I've been into muffins since I bought a new muffin pan that can be cleaned in the dishwasher. The best part of it all is that I sold my prevoius Pampered Chef (AKA not dishwasher friendly) muffin pan on craigslist. I love craigslist.

Five things I would do with a million dollars
This is going to sound ver Trav-like, but a million dollars is really not that much money. I would do boring things with it, like pay for our house, pay off our student loans, buy a Toyota Highlander, and invest. I'd try to have enough left over for a shopping spree for all of us Larsens, as we are living in hand-me-downs. Don't get me started about how every dress I own is one I bought in high school..... maybe if there was anything left we'd go on vacation (first to Austin, then to Paris!)
Five places I would run away to.
1. New York
2. Switzerland
3. Hobble Creek Canyon (super pretty this time of year)
4. San Francisco
5. Some clean tropical island with amenities like drinkable water... maybe Fiji?

Five TV shows I like
I never watch TV. Anna is into Super Readers and Dragon Tales these days, so I hear them while I'm getting ready in the morning, but that's it. I used to be into the West Wing, but it got cancelled.

Five things I hate doing
1. Changing diapers.
2. Wiping Anna. She is potty trained, but still won't wipe. I'm thinking, what's the use of being potty trained if I am still doing this for you?
3. Cleaning the kitchen floor.
4. Not getting enough sleep.
5. Ironing. This is unfortunate as my husband is an attorney. Maybe if he ever makes it big, we'll send all his shirts to the cleaner (only $1.25 a shirt, surely my sanity is worth that!)

Five people that I tag
1. Kaytie
2. Annie
3. Kira
4. Lanae
5. Jaclyn

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I wish I still lived next door to you! I miss the morning walks and I could use a gallon of milk today. . .yikes! But if I did live next door to you still- you would be ditching me in just two months to move into your new house! So good thing I moved to Texas :). It was fun to read and reminisce for a while. It was funny because it took me a little too long to figure out that you were referring to Matt Bunkall and Stef in the 10 years ago post, at first I thought you were confessing to having had a secret romance with BC or something ;)

missy. said...

that was fun to read! i wish you'd tagged me too, then i would have an incentive to sit down and do some reminiscing after i finish everything on my to-do list... can i pretend you tagged me and reward myself with this anyway? :)