Sunday, September 23, 2007

Things I'm Proud of Lately



Two weeks ago Travis and I hiked Timp. It was super hard and I was exhausted afterward, but it was amazingly beautiful. Everyone should get up at 4 am and hike 16 miles.
I do regret to say that I did not make it to the top. Don't think I'm lazy, because that is not it! We got all the way up to the saddle, which is like 11, 000 feet, and I got so dizzy! I couldn't even enjoy the beautiful views because I felt like I was going to fall off the mountain. The wind was blowing really hard and I just hid behind a little outcropping of rock. Every time I looked at the path that continued up to the top, I got so anxious I almost threw up. I have never been so scared in my life. I literally thought I was going to die. (Now I can relate better to your thing with airplanes, Kris.) Obviously I didn't die, but coming down was so difficult for me.... it took longer than going up. And, yes, tears were shed. T was super supportive though and helped me through it all. Notice that in the picture with the amazing view, I was too scared to get close enough to edge for a picture, so it's only Trav.


Another thing....More than a year ago I started on this quilt. It was a little Relief Society project and we all worked on our own, but together. I managed to keep up with the group until the very last session or two.... anyway, the quilt has been sitting in our storage unit for a year now. I finally unearthed it (remembering my Education Week advice to get rid of stuff you're not using) so that I could finish it up and give it to a friend who just had a baby. I literally finished it 6 hours before I gave it away, so this picture is all I have left of my hard work!

9 comments:

Olivia McCord said...

I think reaching the saddle is making it up Timp! About a week after moving to Provo to go to BYU from CT (sea-level), I attempted to hike Timp. It didn't go so well. Anyway, the pics on my blog are just of the first mile of the Timp hike. You probably didn't recognize them because you were hiking at 4 in the morning:) Also, Lot 709 looks really cool.

Erin said...

Holy Cow Laurie, you are amazing for climbing Timp. I don't even know which mountain is Timp let alone be able to climb the thing. I hope you don't care I'm looking at your blog. I saw it through the grapevine of blogs through the ward.

Unknown said...

Laurie that's so awesome that you and Travis did that. Good for you. I'm so happy your finished your quilt! Hooray! Way to give it to a friend too, I'm sure they love it. It looks awesome.

Kristi said...

Way to go Laurs! ! I tried hiking Timp back in my prime (at 20 I think), and I only made it to the lake, but that is because I had to go back so I could get to work on time. Alright, I was pretty relieved that I had a good excuse to not continue. The sad thing was that I was late so I practically ran down the mountain and screwed up my knee and now I can't hike more than a mile without excruciating pain. With your dizziness and my sore knee we would be fine hiking companions! !

I am proud of you!

Brianne said...

Soliel! Remember when we hiked WEST?!?! jk!! That was a tough one I tell ya!! Your experience is amazing to hear that you even attempted to hike Timp! I give ya lots of props! It's your friend mookie!! You are so darling. I sure love you and I'm glad I could find your blog!! I loved reading about all your adventures. Your girls are super super cute! Here is my blog if you ever want to check it out!!
http://brybriandmayley.blogspot.com

Kristi said...

P.S. Your hair looks super long!

Jaclyn said...

Glad you made it down safely! =)

Jaclyn said...

Glad you made it down safely! =)

Kaytie Brown said...

Way to hike Timp!!! It's never good to feel like you're gonna fall off a mountain. I'm glad you made it down ok. That is so exciting about your new house!! I didn't know you guys were gonna move so soon. Also, way to be an A+ homemaker with the quilt and everything.