Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Kitchen Floor

Everyone has their one chore they hate doing, and therefore often neglect to do it. Mine is cleaning the kitchen floor. Ugh! I hate it!! My own mother uses a mop, and her floors look alright. But I could never get mine to look very good with a mop (probably a combination of the yucky apartments we've lived in and my lack of ability), so I asked my mother-in-law who cleans for a living what she does. Hands and knees!!!! What is this, the 1700s?
I tried it, and yes, the floor does look better. But, thereafter, I hated cleaning the floor even more.
Which is the reason that it has been over a month since my floor's been cleaned. For those of you without kids, that may not seem like a big deal at all. But when you have a preschooler who likes making juice "all by myself" and a toddler who lets you know the meal is over by throwing her food madly off her tray.... well, let's just say you should clean your floor more often.
I was motivated to clean my floor today because we are having playgroup with our neighbors this afternoon, and another playgroup with some old friends tomorrow. And, my in-laws will likely stop by this evening. So, time to bust out the rag and get to work.
Luckily, it didn't take long. )Why do I always put it off when it takes like a half an hour?) There was still time to eat a bowl of CocoRoos and do some blogging when I finished. :)

8 comments:

Olivia McCord said...

I'm totally with you on the kitchen floor thing. When we moved into our house Kjell bought a huge industrial-sized mop that I used to see our custodians use to clean the gym floor. Well, it works, but what a chore!

Kristi said...

When we were cleaning our Provo apartment Blaine's mom introduced me to actually scrubbing the kitchen floor. . like with a scrub brush and down on my hands and knees. Who know those linoleum floors were white!

Unknown said...

Laurie, I'm totally with you. I HATE cleaning the kitchen floor -- sweeping or mopping, and I totally don't do it as often as I should. It's amazing how much cleaner it can get when you actually scrub it yourself though isn't it.

Anaelay said...

Such a pain! Mine doesn't get cleaned enough either...and the reason I think that's the case is for all the work it takes it just doesn't stay clean long enough to make it worth it!!

Anaelay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne said...

I totally agree Laurie! One of the worst jobs, but at least Sam helps by cleaning up after Will at little bit! :)

missy. said...

i hate all household chores, categorically. i have to put things in a context, for example: i need to vacuum because kya is starting to crawl a little and i don't want her eating dead bugs and strings. or, i need to wash the dishes because if we eat off of dirty dishes, we'll all die. that kind of thing. i haven't yet found a persuasive reason to scrub my kitchen floor on my hands and knees. maybe i'll get there someday :) for now, my goal is simple: basic sanitation!

Zackira's said...

Perhaps it is because I do not have any children or because we haven't had a real hard rain for the for the dogs to bring in mud but I honestly don't remember the last time I scrubbed my kitchen floor. Thank goodness we picked darker tile. The bathrooms and entryway are an entirely different story, I do those fairly often and on my hands and knees. I try to think of it as therapy, scrubbing away the everyday annoyances in my life. Give me a vacuum on the other hand and I am one happy chick. I think Annie was always the floor scrubber in our apartment you should ask her for pointers she is a pro!
Love ya, Kira