Friday, February 15, 2008

To homeschool or not to homeschool?

Because some of my nearest and dearest friends have been looking into homeschool lately, I too have spent some time reading and pondering if it is the right thing for our family. This is ironic because only 2 months ago the answer would have been "No way!" without a second thought.

Here are my reasons that I think homeschool might be good:
1. There have been 4 separate shootings in one week at schools across America. What more can I say?
2. I have read convincing material that public schools are not capable of providing a quality education to all 35 students in the class at a time. The US is so far behind other industrialized (and non-industrialized) nations in math, literacy, etc. I feel like educating my kids is going to be up to me, whether they attend public school or not.
3. I could completely control the school environment-- what they learn, how they learn it, when they learn, etc.
4. Homeschool would avoid the pitfalls of school social life-- feeling left out and lonely, bullies, drugs, boyfriends, feeling superior/inferior to other kids, having an irrational hatred of the drill team, etc.


Here are the reasons that I hesitate:
1. Would my kids have a normal social life? How could you have a normal social life if you never went to school? Would Anna never get to go to Prom? (I know, this should not be a key factor, but I really enjoyed my Prom.)
2. Am I smart/organized/determined enough to actually teach homeschool?
3. Do I have the patience to be with my kids all day long, even as they get older and there are more of them?
4. Do I throw the speech pathology thing out the window in favor of homeschool?
5. Aren't granolas the only people who do homeschool? While I have started taking whole food vitamins (and admittedly feel better for it), I am not ready nor willing to classify myself as a granola.

If not homeschool, what are my other options? Private school would be feasible if there were only one kid--- maybe we could have an annual lottery to see which one would get a good education that year.... I know there are charter schools, but I don't know enough about them to feel confident that they are different from public schools in educating kids.

Any comments, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

14 comments:

Jen and Beth said...

Well Laurie, you know how I feel on the issue. If you are scared about your kids not getting the right kind of social interaction maybe you could talk to some kids who have been homeschooled to see if they are "normal". And it certainly does not make you a granola to do it either. Maybe in Utah it seems that it's only granolas who home school but it's not that way everywhere.

Most home schooled kids are smarter than their public school educated peers so no worries there.....um....oh..and there are tons of "co ops" where groups of home schooled kids get together for classes, field trip etc..(again, the social thing) I could go on and on. I guess it comes down to praying about it. I really think on matters that are this important the Lord will certainly let you know the direction you should go. And I'm still up for going to a home school conference with you this spring if you want. =)

Jen and Beth said...

P.S. by the way, congrats on the vitamins! I'm glad to hear you've converted. =)

Zackira's said...

I think you know how I feel about it, being that I am a public school teacher. I think that as long as you play an extremely active part in your their education and work extra with them, meaning you don't expect the teacher to teach your child everything especially morals then she will do fine in public school. If you are really active on the PTA you can find out who the really good teachers are, those parents usually get what they want Whatever you choose to do they will know that you love them and that is what really matters.

Hadley Handful said...

I second Kira's motion. I think far to many people think that school is where teachers teach kids EVERYTHING and its so not the case. Home is where you supplement and help with homework and teach morals (which teachers will do too). And in regards to the whole violence at school, those instances happen few and far between when you consider how many school are actually out there.Now don't think I'm anti homeschool. My niece's all went to prom with kids they'd met at seminary and do just fine socially. But you definatley have to be dedicated to the whole process. I think there are perks to both and I love you still no matter what you decide! (even if you go granola) ;)

missy. said...

hey, what's wrong with being granola? :) i've always considered myself granola in spirit, and proud of it! i'm happy to report that i've finally started making my own organic baby food, so i feel like i can be official now.

that said, i really don't think that we'll homeschool our kids. i don't have anything against it. if it were just up to me, i might actually be tempted. but my husband is a teacher and we have both invested a lot in the public school system. we see it as being a system that we (parents and kids) shouldn't CONSUME, but rather INFLUENCE. so our kids won't just go to school and have things done to them; they will also be encouraged to express their ideas about how to make their school community better, and influence their peer group, and make independent choices away from the reach of their parents, and be active members of a diverse and culturally-rich community. i know there are other ways to teach these lessons besides sending kids to public school, but for us...we figure we will be super-involved in their educational learning either way, but school is a great forum for APPPLYING many other lessons they've learned at home about leadership, teamwork, service, and community involvement.

Erin said...

l agree with all those that are "for" public schools. I know they have their problems and its scary to send them off to public schools but I do't want to shelter my kids in any way from what is around them. I want to "prearm" (teach them before they get into situations about things) and then continue to teach them about what is around them as they are actually going through it. I'm saying all of this as if I was in a community that I felt was a decent area and the school districts were decent. I think alot of the reasons "for" homeschooling would depend on your community and school district. If I lived in downtown NY I might be a little more hesitant to do public school but in a smaller community I know the same things can happen no matter where you are but I would want my kids to know what is going on around them and know how to handle it but I also don't want them to be the only person in their whole grade that has to stand up for themselves. I think alot of it just depends on your community, your devotion to making sure your kids are involved in social events outside the home, and your willingness to take the time during your day to teach your older kids while entertaining the younger kids. Its alot of work. Good luck!!

Jaclyn said...

Just curious...which of your friends are homeschooling?

Olivia McCord said...

I believe the "pitfalls of school social life" are an extremely important part of life in general and not at all a good reason to keep your kids out of public school. My limited experience with kids that have been home-schooled is that they lack in social skills more than public-schooled children (but they are very bright and seemingly well-educated). I'm an advocate of the public school system.

Kristina said...

Hey Laurie! Thanks for your message on my blog. Kristi gave me your blog address about a week ago and I've been meaning to say hi. I don't really have any input on the whole homeschooling issue, but I know if you did choose to do it, your kids would get an excellent education. I mean, look at how well we did in AP Biology! :) Seriously, though, you are brilliant and you have a lot to offer in teaching them.
--Kris (Thomas)

Laurie said...

The key to having lots of people leave comments must be to bring up a controversial topic. Notice how few comments there were on the plastic bag issue?

missy. said...

ha! you're right, laurie. maybe we all already feel guilty for the big ball of plastic bags in our cupboard :)

Joe(y) Speredon said...

How do you feel you would have done had your parents home-schooled you? What would you have missed out on? I think that if you play an active role in your kids schooling you can make up for the inadequacies of public school. As far as the danger of public schools, there have also been that many public shootings that didn't take place in a school over the same time. There are times I don't ever want to let Tres and Ellie outside, ever, but I know that's just not possible.

Jen and Beth said...

You did ask for everyone's opinion so everyone's opinion you'll get. =) If you ask me the only opinion that matters is yours. Good luck with your decision. You still have a little time. Oh and you are already homeschooling by the way with your little preschool you do with Anna. =)

simple mom/wife said...

Great thoughts. I often think about our Heavenly Father as a parent to get me through decisions such as this. I have picked (through council with my Father in Heaven) where I live for the schools and neighbor and then I send them out the door with complete faith that my Heavenly Father will watch over them. I teach them the gospel and let them make choices just like our Heavenly Father sent us out "his door" and then watches us learn. Of course there is a prayer each morning too.