Sunday, March 4, 2012

2012 Word

Here we are at the beginning of March, and I think I've finally come up with my word for the year. You know, the one word that sums up what I am trying to become this year? In 2010 it was Rejoice. In 2011 it was Bless. And the word for 2012.... Do.
Do. As in

Just Do It.
I will go and do the things which the Lord has commanded....
Be ye doers of the word and not hearers only
I can do hard things
Make it do
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me
Do what is right


I feel like I have so many aspirations of the kind of person I want to be. I imagine myself being compassionate, educated, confident, kind, righteous, etc. when I am "grown up." The only trouble is, I am grown up! If I want to become those things, then I had better start doing something about it! 
So this is my year. My year to spend more time playing with my kids, more time enjoying the mountains, more time serving in my community, more time loving my husband, more time growing close to the Savior. It is my year to Do.
For me, doing will mean engaging in purposeful activities. I will have to limit my time on Pinterest for sure, because as much as I love it, it only gets me with a longer list of projects I want to do and less time to do them. I will also have to limit the time I waste in other ways, so that I might use my precious minutes to do something productive. 
Do implies action. It implies gumption, pushing yourself through difficult circumstances till you come out on top, or at least finish the race. Do implies getting something done, whether it's a bathroom re-do or calling a long lost friend. Do means actually doing something after you ask your visiting teachee "Is there anything I can do for you?"
Do means the world (at least my world) will be a better place because I'm in it. 
Because I want to be like Grandpa Max, who wholly deserved it when we sang this hymn at his funeral almost eight years ago:
Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad? 
Or made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.

No comments: